Participating in Discussions
To read messages in a discussion or forum, you must first select the topic to which the conversation belongs. To do so, access the Disucssions tool and follow these steps:
1. On the Discussions home page, click on the appropriate topic. WVSU Online displays a list of conversations for that topic. You may sort the list by subject, author, or date. For more information about sorting lists in WVSU Online, see Working with Lists.
2. View a list of messages in a specific conversation by clicking the black arrow () to the left of the conversation’s subject.
WVSU Online displays a list of messages:
Next to the subject, the display indicates the number of messages in the conversation. A conversation that contains replies shows the replies indented. Messages that are new are flagged as “New.” If the topic is moderated, any messages you have posted that have not yet been approved are flagged as “Pending.” An envelope icon () displays next to the names of site participants who have posted new messages.
From the current topic, you may display messages for other topics in the same forum.
• To display messages for the previous topic, click the Previous Topic link.
• To display messages for the next topic, click the Next Topic link.
To collapse the list of conversation messages, click the arrow again.
3. You can view messages in a conversation in several different ways:
• To read a single message, click its subject. WVSU Online displays the message:
• To view all messages in a conversation, click on the conversation subject.
WVSU Online displays the oldest replies first. It also displays the number of users who have read each message to the right of the poster’s name. If any replies have been posted to a reply, they follow the reply to which they pertain.
o To sort the list of messages by date, select either Date Ascending or Date Descending from the View dropdown list. To view only unread messages, select Unread from that list.
o To have your browser scroll down to the first pending message in the list, click on Go to first pending message. To have your browser scroll down to the first new message in the list, click Go to first new message.
o To return to the original display, select by Conversation from the View dropdown list. To view any message in isolation, click its subject.
• View a list of all messages in all conversations by clicking the black arrow () to the left of the Conversation header. In the resulting display, note that each unread message has an envelope icon () next to its subject.
o To collapse this list, click the arrow again.
o To collapse and expand the list of messages in any specific conversation, click the black arrow () to the left of its subject.
o To read a message, click its subject. WVSU Online displays only that message.
• View a display of all messages in all conversations for the current topic by clicking Display Message Content in the menu bar. Each unread message has an envelope icon () next to its subject. To return to the previous display for the thread, click Display Subject Only in the menu bar. For either display, you can view a message in isolation by clicking on its subject.
When viewing a message in isolation, note that you have the following options:
• To view the previous or next message, click the Previous Message or Next Message link.
• To view a list of all messages in the previous or next conversation, click the Previous Conversation or Next Conversation link.